Wednesday 1 March 2017

DIRECTIONS UNIT: MY SOUND DESIGN

With sound design in mind for my film. I wanted to focus specifically on the outdoor scene. However I'll explain my first scene.

The Pub
What I wanted from the pub was obviously the dialogue and the knocking on the window, although the knock I decided to re-record in post-production to get the best possible sound effect. With the dialogue I chose to record on set as that was more sensible to do rather that re-record. However, my biggest choice was on how to bring the pub to life when it's 'open'. Since a pub is never a quiet place until it's actually closed and customers aren't in there, I knew I'd need sounds of people to help bring the place to life. But other than people talking in the background and the knocking on the door I didn't need any other sound effects for this scene.

Music wise, in this unit we need to either use the original soundtrack from the film or royalty free music. I chose to use the original soundtrack for the song on the jukebox (Lemon Jelly - Soft) since that fits really well with the scene and adds to the comedy but for the montage I got in contact with a composer called 'Harry Evans' and asked if I could use his song 'Humans' he produced. My reason for this is I wanted a nice, lively song with a good drum beat and the chores for this song was perfect for what I needed. Harry agreed to let me use this.

The Outside Scene
With this scene, I wanted much more out of my sound design. This is where both suspense and comedy come together. With Shaun walking to the shop but not realising what has happened or what is around him. I wanted to go with the classic style of horror and have the very eerie sound effects every now and again within the scene, like when Shaun walks past the dead body and doesn't notice them. As well as adding in a separate wild track so the street sounds really empty as well. Also thinking back to our sound design lecture with Simon, I decided to try and add in a car alarm going off and a dog barking in the distance, just to help with the sound effects, since you wouldn't really hear a dog barking unless there was complete silence and the car alarm is to add to the idea of a disaster has happened. Also what I want to re-record is the zombie sounds since they're easier to get during post-production and can do more with how they sound, as well I could make them sound further away as the zombies get closer.

With music, I wanted simple music but with a very eerie feel to it, I again looked at the original soundtrack and found a track that was composed for the original song called "You've got Red on You" which is used throughout the film during the zombie scenes, the opening is exactly what I want to add tension for the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment