Thursday 2 March 2017

DIRECTIONS UNIT: UNIT EVALUATION

Throughout this entire project I have had a huge amount of positives and negatives with all stages but this unit has given me an amazing experience as a Director and I feel I did the best I possibly could.

During the pre-production stage of this unit I had quite a lot of issues, specifically with cast.  Not having any cast apply for my advert on casting call pro meant that I needed to find my actors myself. Although this did take time and took me away from production planning for sometime. I found two actors who were perfect for the roles which I needed and worked well. As for my extras I used the people around me to my benefit and got my friends and work mates into helping with the production as well. But as well as cast I had other strengths which was not only my choice of locations but gaining them for free as well. But knowing I wanted a pub to film in and a street away from a busy road I worked around and spoke with my classmates to get the locations that I needed. I planned out everything that I needed and made sure I was ready for the shoot as well as making sure I knew what I wanted from the script. I got a make-up artist onboard who was both skilled and organised and I did serious planning and practice with the zombies as well to get the best possible look for my film. As well with researching into all different series and types of zombie to get a clear idea of how I could create this film differently. I feel was really well prepared for the shoot, especially with the tech run and make sure that me and my crew were all ready for the shoot.

During the production stage. I feel I did really well as a Director. I worked well with my actors and extras to get the right performance out of them. With my crew I had planned in advance and we worked well together to get through everything. However, with Production I could have done better with preparation on equipment since we had issues on the first shoot day at the end because I didn't have a spare battery or charge the battery during the break we had so the camera ended up dying and we had to change over to a DSLR camera because of this. We also had issues with the second shoot, with the shop dropping out on us on the morning of the second day, so I had to go around Rochester with my crew and find somewhere to film. Although we worked through these problems professionally and calmly. Without going too over schedule too much either.
On the strength side, the zombie make up worked better than during the practice and although we had to wait for cars to go past, this didn't take too long and we didn't waste time doing this either. I worked well with my crew and got it done quickly and effectively.

During the post-production I found another weakness from the production stage which was that all my footage was grainy. This was most likely from the camera having the gain on which was my fault for not double checking it. However, after colour correcting and grading my footage and using a noise remover plug in called 'Neat' to clean up footage that I couldn't fix with colour correction. As well I feel my edit went well. It worked well together and the montage sequence that I put together in the pub worked well including the audio that I got from my composer Harry Evans.

Overall I feel I did really well in this project and really enjoyed it as well. Although the work was stressful and difficult I believe I did good with researching into the meaning of being a Director, as well as adapting my script into my own version of Shaun of the Dead and I did excellent work with planning out everything which I feel I proved by how successful my shoot went.

No comments:

Post a Comment