Wednesday 22 February 2017

CAMERA WORKSHOP: DSLR CAMERAS

We had a few DSLR work shops with Fergus to give us the choice between cameras to use for our projects. Below is a quick video from the work shop.


I've been using DSLR cameras for around 4 years now so I'm confident when using them. What I like the most is that you can change the lens to get a different look and feel with the footage. The options we have at UCA is the Canon 7D. I own a Canon 60D and also the Photography department at Rochester does have Canon 5D Mark 3 which is the only Canon model to have a Full Frame sensor. The only downside to DSLR cameras is that the audio from them is unusable due to it's poor quality. Meaning we would have to record footage and audio separately and then sync it up in post-production which isn't too tricky as long as you use a clapper to get a sync point. 


As well as a Canon 60D, I also have a shoulder rig which allows me better handheld work with my DSLR. As well as a pull focus which helps with focus shots in films. But my main concern with DSLR's is the audio. As well I had issues recording the audio separately in my last project and audio and sound design is something that's really important in this project for me.

This was why I chose to go with the Sony EX cameras because I can record the audio straight into the camera and I didn't have any issues with these when I used them in my storytelling unit. They also allowed me to have more with Colour Correction and grading in my last project. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I use a DSLR Canon Camera too, they are very good at taking focus and I feel comfortable using them the only problem was the audio recording. But we can always do as you mentioned record the audio separately and sync them together. if it is that important to you, check this article it mentioned all the DSLR Cameras in 2017 and there feature. you might find something fits your needs!

    ReplyDelete