Monday 6 February 2017

DIRECTING UNIT: CASTING EXTRAS

With the scenes I have chosen, to really bring the scenes to life there are 2 locations where I need extras. The Pub and the Street.

The Pub
If Shaun and Ed are in their local, there would be other customers drinking. You wouldn't really go to an empty pub to drink and hang out with your friends. As well, in the script there are 2 people in the pub which are focused on. One man and woman. So from this I figured that I needed the following extras:
- 1 Customer
- Mysterious man
- Woman
- Man and a Woman (couple outside)
- Man/woman (Zombie outside)
The 1 customer will be in the background and with some help with sound design, help to make the pub feel more alive. So for these extras I've casted the following people:




Domenic Esposito. He's a jewellery student at UCA and a warden at the Student Accomedations. I've known Domenic for a few months now and he has a very punk-rock style as well as long hair, half shaved. Since the character in the script needs to be unique and stand out I asked Domenic if he'd be interested and he agreed. So he will play the Mysterious man.







Zak Wilkins & Victoria Simmonds. These two are my classmates and also in a relationship, both are eager to help with the project and don't mind being on camera. Since they don't have a main role or any dialogue, I'm not breaking the rules with not having classmates are the main actors.










Morgan Ferriday. He's my flat mate and offered to help as an extra. I want Morgan to play the first zombie that is 'seen' in the film. Since the zombie is describes as a 'Shadowy Figure', Morgan regularly wears black clothing and is a big fan of zombies so showed great enthusiasm when talking about the project.










Kim Robb. Kim is the make-up artist for my shoot, she's also in her 30's and looks good for the woman in the pub, her age sets her aside from the other cast members. As well Kim will be on set so this is more helpful.









Jason Efstathiou. Jason is part of my crew and has also offered to be an extra. I want him to be in the background in the pub, just to add to the atmosphere and make the pub feel more like a pub with customers in the background.
Jason is also going to be playing one of the zombies, specifically the one that is seen in the shop, this is because I'm planning on having that shot as a focus shot on Shaun and only Jason's figure be seen in the background.



The Street
When Shaun is walking over to the shop to get a drink and something for Ed. When walking we see 4 zombies along the way, the focus being on the final one at the end which Shaun says he has no change for because it's originally the homeless man seen in a previous scene. 3 zombies are seen in the street and one in the shop that Shaun goes into




Jemma Cotterell. She is also one of my classmates and did acting in my last project. Jemma also chose Edgar Wright as her Director so I want a sort of cameo in my film. Jemma is also comfortable with having make-up and contacts put on and has been directed before by directors. I'm having Jemma as one of the zombies.









Jack Nix. He is part of my crew and is also okay with make-up and contacts being put on. Jack is a huge fan of the walking dead series and of the original Shaun of the Dead and volunteered to be a zombie for me.





Chelsea Douglas. Chelsea is one of my flat mates and loves zombie films, programmes and the idea of the zombies in general. When we've been in our flat I've seen her pretending to be a zombie and she is very amusing and convincing. Chelsea asked to come onboard with the project as she wants to photograph the behind the scenes and when I asked her to play a zombie she happily agreed. I want Chelsea to play the zombie with a green coat and dog lead. This also means the zombies are 50/50 with gender as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment