Friday 10 May 2019

PRODUCTION: THE PAPER EDIT


As I was shown to do in my research from the YouTube Tutorial, I got all the transcripts from Jemma and Victoria. In total there were over 15 Transcripts as Jemma and Victoria had also transcribed the vox pop interviews as well as the full interviews with Tanya, Pete, Conor and Amy so I was able to have all the interviews here. I went through all the transcripts and highlighted all the relevant sound bites that I found were good or helped tell the story, always referring back to the script which Jemma had supplied.

Once I'd highlighted all the relevant information from the transcripts I needed to organise them into Topics, looking through everything I found these were the best Topics to use:

Daily life & Drag Persona (About themselves)

This is where I would have any of the interviewee's talking about who they are, where they live, about their home, family, friends, etc. and also this is where any information about their Drag persona such as style, background, looks, how it started, etc. would all go here as well.

Balance between In & Out of Drag

This section is more for Amy, Conor and Tanya where they tell us about how they balance their normal life and their Drag Queen life. We do get some answers from Pete talking about Tanya and Miss Zodi which can go here as well though.

Opinions of Drag

This is where a lot of the answers will be as we talk about peoples opinions of of Drag Queens and Drag in general, what they think of it, whether they like or dislike, if they believe it's an art form, etc. All our interviews have these sort of answers in them so this will be a very big section of the cut sheet.

Miss Conceptions of Drag

This is where we'd have the information about what our interviewee's feel are miss conceptions about Drag Queens, such as people believing it's only gay men who do it or only men in general, that isn't not an art, Conor talks about how people thought it was a gate way into transsexuality for him when he first began doing Drag.

Diversity in Drag

Here is where we have all the information we're given about the diversity in Drag, Tanya and Amy will have a lot in here about themselves as Tanya is a non-binary Drag Queen and Amy is a female Drag Queen. As well, we'll have people discussing what they think about the diversity in the Drag community and other answers like this.

Live Event

This final topic is where all the interviews at or about the live events will be. Since the story takes us to these events I found it best to have it all in one section where I can quickly and easily find them.

Cut Sheet

Once I'd gone through all the transcripts, marked and organised them into topics, I put them together in the cut sheet (Screen shots below):



This helped me easily find the sections and answers I needed for the paper edit which I put together once this was done. This is also what I'll be using from now on if I need to find relevant bits of the interviews as I've cut them down to this now.

The actual paper edit looks very similar to the Cut sheet. I simply put together the relevant interviews which matched the script into order so I could then quickly and easily find them and get them into the timeline.


Now that the paper edit is done and the footage is all organised, I'm able to assemble the edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment