Thursday 2 May 2019

PRODUCTION: THOMAS CHEATER - EDITOR RESEARCH

While researching into being an Editor, I found an independent Video Creator called Tom Cheater. Although Tom isn't working in broadcast documentaries, I found he was a self shooter who also edited his own videos or worked has worked for a client to create a video, so I felt Tom would be an ideal Editor to speak to as he was as close to an Editor as I would be as I'm also self shooting the documentary but also working to a client, or in my case working to my Director.


I emailed Tom asking him a few questions about editing and editing prep as well as I haven't found much online about editing paperwork. 

1) How do you decide how you are going to edit the video?

Tom explained:
"Well most of the time it's mostly decided in the conversations between the director/client and myself, I usually like to have a succinct written brief to refer back to, usually they have reference videos and films an so on to support their direction so you usually go into it with a direction. Being given footage with no context or help is very rare but usually if so you just follow your instincts based on what your seeing" (Tom Cheater)
Tom explains that as well as communication between himself and the client/director he likes to have a structured brief which he can refer to. For me this would likely be the script, but Jemma has explained that once we've finished filming the documentary she'll likely put together another script for me to work off for the edit as well as my own paper edit (if I end up making one, still need to research into this). However, Tom also explaining that if I don't have a structure means you need to follow your instincts as an Editor on what you're seeing, I can't think this coming about as we've already got a script we're working off, it'll just need updating.

2) How do you on what effects you would use?
"Again it's usually down to the requirements. I almost always do my own temporary colour grade in premiere to make the images more pleasing and close to their finished look to help me understand it more and be inspired by it. 
I have a little bag of tricks I use effects wise in terms of crops, flips and stablising but these are used sparingly" (Tom Cheater)
I asked Tom this more for when I will be editing the title sequence as currently we don't have a structured plan and I see this as a section that I might add in effects or do some very different editing. However, Tom's answer didn't really help me but this will be because I have no plan for the title sequence yet. 

3) Do you do any paper planning prior to editing (paper edit, mind map, egg.)
"I have done previously in terms of cutting interviews down using a paper edit made from a transcription. Depending on the accuracy of the transcriptions the paper edit can be super useful to compile a first edit pretty quick" (Tom Cheater)
As I've never really used a paper edit or transcribes for editing documentaries before I wanted to see if they are used or if they can be helpful. Tom explained that depending on the accuracy of the transcribes the paper edit can be an essential tool which helps get the first edit together quickly and effectivly which can help really speed along the edit process and get the assembly together much faster.
However, I'll need to do further research into how to make a paper edit and also how to use it as it's a document I'm unsure about.

4) Do you shoot and edit your projects? If so would you say that's easier than just getting the footage and editing or do you prefer shooting and editing the footage?
"I have done a lot of shooting and editing of footage I capture and it's very 50-50 in terms of being easier, it's definitely expedited in terms of knowing where what is and what I need to build the edit but it's very closed circuit in terms of input and you risk not being objective enough to strengthen the video by holding onto shots you worked hard to get and force into the video even if they don't serve the overall.
But it's very rewarding when you produce a front to back piece of material that people enjoy and respond to.
I very much enjoy the collaborative experience though and love not to work in isolation which, for instance, is why I'm working with another editor on my latest short film I directed and shot as I want another perspective and ideas" 
(Tom Cheater)

This was probably the most main bit of information I wanted to get from Tom, being a self shooter and editor for the same video I was curious as to whether he found it easier or more difficult as opposed to doing only one of the roles. However, Tom explains that by being both the cameraman and the editor it can help you to know where everything is, what you have and where it is. In short, I would know all the footage that we'd filmed and wouldn't have to get to terms with all the footage so this could help me really shorten my editing time. Something he does mention though is the risk of not wanting to let go of footage. I can see this as an issue as if there is footage from Cornwall or Blackburn that doesn't benefit the edit I may find it difficult to let that go as we'd traveled all that way to gain it.

I feel from this I simply need to get into an Editor mode and leave the DOP role behind once we're going forward into the editing process. Footage is just footage and it's the story that's being told. I need to work with my Director and Producer to ensure the footage and audio I cut is right for that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment