Wednesday 8 May 2019

PRODUCTION: TITLE SEQUENCE PREP

Our next shoot is the title sequence, the idea that Jemma had for the titles was to have a dancer performing on the stage mixed in with Slow Motion footage. Our performing however is our friend Laura so Jemma has said that the footage needs to hide her face as the idea for the opening is that it's a Drag Queen and also we'll need to get a mixture of shots to cut between.

Jemma has said she wants a title sequence slightly like that of The Great British Bake Off:



The idea from this being the close up shots, and the variety of different elements leading to the final cake shot, so we see flour, eggs, oven and then finally the cake. With our title sequence it would be showing elements like eye lashes, make-up, dress, etc and then finally seeing the dancer.

Jemma wrote up a plan for what she wanted filmed for the title sequence:



Jemma explained that she wanted all of this footage in slow motion, so I needed to decide what camera to use and also how to film it since Slow Motion with handheld footage isn't the nicest looking footage. I quickly looked on Fatlama.com (rental site) and contacted a seller I've worked with in the past about borrowing a rig for this shoot. I've organised to borrow a gimbal called The Zhiyun Crane 2 with Follow Focus. The gimbal is small and light weight and ideal for small DSLR cameras, the Sony A7S is one of the recommended cameras to be used with the gimbal. 

The gimbal comes with a follow focus attachment which lets me control the focus of the lens with the small dial on the side of the gimbal. The gives the operator stable operation but also I'm able to pan with a small joy stick on the gimbal as well. I decided using a gimbal would be best as moving footage with a dancer is better and with it in slow motion I'd want it nice and smooth for the edit. 

From this I made up my kit list:


Since Jemma wants the footage shot in slow motion and with some movement I chose to go with the Sony A7S as this allows me to film in Full HD at 50 fps or I can go up to 120fps filming at HD 720p. The camera is small and lightweight so makes it ideal for the gimbal and this is one of the reccommedned cameras to use with the gimbal. For lighting I'm bringing my Red Head lights but I'm also bringing with me a lot of gels for the lights (not listed here). Likely it'll be a lot of blue and pink gels as these are the colours Jemma wanted more to try and match with the bisexual lighting she's discussed. 

Although sound isn't required, I'm bringing my small Rode microphone just in case. I've chosen to also take all 3 lenses as I'll need a mixture of footage (explained in shot list).

Shot list - Page 1:


The main point for making this shot list was for me to figure out what lenses to use for each shot. Most of this shoot I'll be shooting on the 50mm Prime lens as it gives me more of a film look and gives me much more of a focus length. 

Everything will be filmed on the gimbal and also in 50fps. Likely the only footage I'll be filming with the 24mm-70mm Tamron lens will be the footage of Laura dancing on the stage (Wide, Mid, Close).

No comments:

Post a Comment