Wednesday 25 April 2018

STUDIO PRODUCTION: CAMERA PLANS AND SHOTS

As I struggled to Direct and use a script, I found a way to keep organised with the show and still have a plan for my cameras and shots.

I learnt the script for my entire half. Reading over and over till I knew it like the back of my hand and made sure I knew all the out words which would signal me to roll a VT/Sting. Once doing this, I remembered that me and George had done basic camera plans for the Mock-up of Steals of the Season to know where the cameras would go and move. After sitting with Del and discussing, I found that my cameras don't have to move much in my half of the show as it's more interview based. So, I wrote up 4 camera plans for the programme, one for each section:

Old to New
This section is actually very simple and short to shoot. Alfie and Adeline would be centre of the set (Hard Area), Camera 3 would be my 2 shot of the Presenters, this being the main camera used for this section, I have camera 3 as a 3 shot of the presenters and the catwalk to get the model when they enter onto the set. I have camera 4 as a single on Alfie, now this is my main choice for cameras. I needed a 'safety shot' for the sections, I chose to have this as the presenters 2 shots and this is all done through camera 4, In DIY, Mystery Guest and Round-up, Camera 4 is my 2 shot of the Presenters (as they're in the soft area for this sections). My split screen cameras will be cameras 2, getting the close up on the shoes and camera 5 getting my wide of the model to the right of frame. In my head this will work much better and will make the other 2 sections much easier.



DIY
With DIY, we move over to the Soft area. I kept camera 4 as my 2 shot of the Presenters and this is the main camera used until the VT plays, due to not showing Bonnie in the Studio until after the VT has played. Camera 3 is another 3 shot, getting the Presenters and Bonnie in shot (this is my safety shot for the section) I had camera 3 as Single for the Presenters, changing between the Presenters when the next one starts speaking. Camera 5 is my single for Bonnie and camera 2 is a 2 shot, since we're going to be having the mannequin next to Bonnie with her Dress on there so I've had both Bonnie and the Dress in shot for this one. Moving and setting up for this shot will work much better.


Mystery Guest
Towards the end of the DIY Section, I have camera 1, 3 and 2 reposition ready for the reveal of our Drag Queen. Camera 4 staying as the 2 shot of the presenters and camera 5 staying as the single where Bonnie was sat, ready for the interview. For our Drag Queen's performance, I have camera 1 on a wide single, the safety shot for this section which I can always cut back to. This is dead centre and the opening to the performance. Camera 3 is set for close ups and tilts up and down and camera 2 is set for close ups and mid shots.
For the interview, I have camera 1 panning over with Oliver as he walks over to the soft area, then 3 moving as a single of the Presenters. George Lock opens the show with a wide shot of the set and I've decided to end the show with this. So, when camera 2 has finished with the performance, they de-rig and move to the back of the audience and set up for an extreme wide shot of the entire set and audience.


Round-Up
The round up was getting more and more complicated for me when blocking it through. When talking to Del, he suggested bringing Bonnie on through the catwalk and keeping Oliver on the couch after the interview, so we shoot the catwalk, the soft area and also I decided I wanted a pan of the audience as we have audience participation. I've planned this so that each camera has one section of the round up to film. Camera 4 is our 2 shot of the Presenters, camera 3 is a wide of the catwalk, very centre where we'll get the models and Bonnie, Camera 5 is our single of Oliver sat down, camera 1 pans for the entire audience and camera 2 is the end of the show with a wide shot of the entire set and then we roll to the Credits.


This plan of the cameras will help me much more as I can take a quick look and get back to Directing without needing to find my place in a script again.

No comments:

Post a Comment